User Experience Design Manager
At SumTotal, we are all about making work matter. We believe every team member has the potential to be AMAZING. We are bold, sharp, driven and most of all, real. Join us in our quest to democratize learning and help individuals unleash their edge.
The User Experience Design Manager will oversee the entire user experience process from start to finish while managing a team of designers and contributing to the vision and user experience design patterns moving forward. This role will work very closely with key cross-functional individuals and departments.
Candidates should have expert understanding of user-centered design principles, requirement gathering, interaction design, prototyping principals and applications, and an interest in the technical aspects that bring designs to life. They should be proficient in communicating and translating the ideas of the team into presentable formats as well as the ability to lead and champion collaborative design techniques across product teams. They should be a coach and mentor to junior design staff.
- Manage a team of UX designers and work closely with senior management, researchers, and product managers.
- Oversee and monitor Jr/Sr staff and be responsible for all milestones delivered for your team.
- Provide thought leadership and promote a unifying vision for the user experience
- Provide iterative design sketches, mental models, user flows, wireframes and high quality prototypes to describe navigation schema, user tasks, and user journeys for product features or enhancements
- Facilitate design workshops to gain consensus and inform design utilizing user centered design techniques
- Work closely with development teams to assure integrity of designs in the final product
- Leverage understanding of current and emerging technologies, industry trends and standards, and device capabilities
- Work with other UX team disciplines to develop comprehensive pattern libraries applicable across SumTotal suite
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Degree in Human Factors, HCI, graphic design or equivalent discipline
- 9+ years or work experience as a lead member or manager of a user-experience design team in a technology-centered company. Prior management or mentor experience preferred
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods as well as web and mobile standards.
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle within an agile environment
- Experience building personas, mental models, user task flows, sketching, paper prototyping, creating wire frames and visual design concepts
- Experience running design workshops
- Detail oriented self-starter with strong presentation skills able to effectively communicate ideas and present solutions to executives and other stakeholders
- Able to work well in a fast-paced environment with iterative design and research cycles in conjunction with Agile development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Broad knowledge/understanding/experience with accessibility guidelines.
- Portfolio with projects demonstrating process (conceptualization through realization) and design justification