Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
Working as a Specialist in the Private Sales department, focusing on Modern Art Art in New York this person will have the responsibility for business and client development to meet sales and profit targets. The role is responsible for new business generation and the solicitation, evaluation and sale of property to meet sales and profit targets for the private sale business
- Lead mid-market pricing and sales strategy fo modern private sale consignments for the Americas.
- Work with Private Sales Strategist and Client Strategy to maximize the sell through for all consignments they are responsible for.
- Apply creativity, innovative thinking and resourcefulness to find new opportunities that will increase transactions on both consignment and selling side of the business.
- Collaborate closely with the Gallery Leads and senior members of Global Fine Art to institute competitive strategies and manage sale opportunities.
- Oversee all cataloging efforts around the galleries, creating the lucidpress catalogues and invitations to consign, managing the gallery web pages, and all selling materials including factsheets, high res’, condition reports and selling points, if applicable.
- Actively manage a portfolio of client relationships, identifying key business strategies for each client and executing against these strategies.
- Responsible for actively managing a portfolio of assigned Modern client relationships to enhance client loyalty and generate business.
- Maintain relationships with clients about their property; develop, track and communicate client interests in lots; and execute bids at sale.
- Secure consignments for private sales as well as major auction sales in NY, working with business director to maximize deal margins, and providing support to other sale venues as needed.
- Responsible for business getting for the sales and managing complex potential consignments
- Oversee and coordinate the exhibition of private sale works during the Marquee auctions
- Collaborate across the Fine Art Division—including Impressionist & Modern, Contemporary, Latin American, and American Art. Drive innovation to reimagine sale platforms. Encourage experimentation.
- Build profile as a specialist in the field and develop a superior market expertise. Develop profile within C and wider arts communities by attending major art fairs, exhibitions and museum openings.
- Participate in department meetings, including estimating sessions, sourcing discussions and selling meetings.
- Coordinate and oversee proposals and appraisals where appropriate. Assist with, and/or direct, as appropriate, business development proposals, research projects and large appraisals.
- Encourage teamwork, collaboration and productivity, always leading by example.
- Regular domestic travel as need (and occasional international travel).
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Minimum of 3-4 years of experience in the Contemporary Art market and in a client relationship driven selling capacity
- Broad knowledge of, exposure to, and network with American collectors and dealers
- Demonstrated expertise and market knowledge of 20th and 21st Century Art
- Proven track record of translating relationships into consignments and sales
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate passionately and persuasively
- Energetic self-starter and independent worker that can thrive in a fast-pace environment
- Team player who can collaborate productively and contribute to a common goal
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to see projects through from start to finish
- Demonstrates good judgment, discretion and professionalism at all times
- Ability to maintain composure in a stressful environment and meet constant deadlines
- Foreign languages a plus
The proposed base salary for this position ranges from $60,000-$70,000. In addition to base salary successful candidates are eligible to receive a discretionary bonus, as well as a competitive benefits package. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered.
Found this job inappropriate? Report to us
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.