FluentU is an education company (started in 2011) that helps people learn languages with real-world videos like movie trailers and music videos. We have a website and a popular mobile app. Weâ€™re a profitable, stable company with a long-term focus â€“ proudly self-funded. Many people know us through our blog, which is visited ~4 million times every month.
What is this job about?
This job is about Special Projects. You will be working on new apps. You wonâ€™t be working with the main dev team that builds our product.
Instead, youâ€™ll be working directly with the founder (https://www.linkedin.com/in/alancpark/) and a small development team on special projects. Our first new app idea helps people learn languages through immersive first-person virtual experiences (with video footage) and speech recognition. For example, instead of making you do quizzes to learn vocabulary for a business meeting, we put you in a business meeting and make you start talking.
How we work
- Weâ€™re a 100% distributed/remote team and always have been.
- Most of our communication is text-based (mostly Asana) and we have a low-stress environment.
- You have flexibility about when you work, and we work asynchronously.
- We also have a flat, collaborative environment.
- We make decisions based on logic/reason. We prioritize communicating clearly.
We try to be a great company to work for - see our 4.95 / 5 rating on Upwork (400+ reviews): https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~016ebf78f5a6f92311.Â
Found this job inappropriate? Report to us
Weâ€™re looking for an engineer who:
- is fluent in English
- has 4+ years of software development experience
- has strong front-end and back-end skills with React Native
- has 3+ years of experience with React.js
- 2+ years of experience with Node.js and Typescript
- has experience building great mobile apps
- writes clean, high-quality, well-documented code (and uses Typescript)
- can work 30+ hours per week on a regular basis
- is interested in a long term, dedicated collaboration
- can balance quality with speed
- no agencies please
If youâ€™re interested, please reply with:
- work samples (including code samples)
- your availability
What to expect:
- Initial Written Screening Questions
- Technical Interview (Zoom Call)
- Fully Paid 10 hour Trial Project
- Post Project Written Questions
What surprises people after they start working at our company?
"what surprised me was the almost perfectly organized working processes and communication and how constantly and smoothly they are being improved"
- Virtual assistant who has worked at our company for 10+ years
"When I joined FluentU, I was not at all aware or thought of the way the team is working, the way you have prepared to collaborate remotely. I am really amazed to see how a full remote team is able to effectively collaborate and work in an efficient manner that not even offline team would be able to deliver or manage.
In the beginning, I felt like it's all very formal way to do which I don't like but right now I can say, this is the best way a remote team or team from different part of the world can accommodate and work together. I've to say, I'm literally getting close to and loving to work in this environment."
"I liked collaborating with a great team made up of kind and talented people from all over the world. I appreciated being trusted to work autonomously and being given the chance to take on new projects and leadership roles. I also liked getting feedback, both in terms of recognition for what I had done well and guidance on how I could improve. I feel like I learned a lot and was continuously developing my skills. The flexibility to meet the required hours according to my own schedule and 100% written communication was also a plus."
"I liked working with a very collaborative, communicative, and global team. I feel like I made friends working with FluentU, even though weâ€™ve never met each other in person. I also like the variety of work I got to take on as an editor and all the interesting projects and research we did together as a team."