Farm Radio International (FRI) uses interactive radio to reach women and men from rural communities in order to support farmers with gender-responsive information on specific value chains. Our interactive radio strategy uses the combination of broadcast radio and mobile phones to engage with groups of listeners to get real-time unfiltered feedback on different topics that affect them and the community.
Uliza is a web-based application that enables radio stations, listeners, partner organizations, and the public to interact and participate. It is the hub for participating in our interactive radio via voice polls, interactive voice response (IVR), SMS, live call-in segments, and instant messaging. Using the online platform, radio broadcasters and stakeholders are able to view and interact with participants in real-time.
Farm Radio International is seeking a fully remote front-end/React application developer with hands-on experience in modern web application development to join our digital innovation team. A successful candidate in this role would be responsible for writing code, and delivering and implementing designs for existing and new technology solutions in our Uliza product suite. The work involves assisting back-end developers with coding and troubleshooting, as well as engaging with users to continually develop the solution.
Responsibilities of the Web application developer include:
- Use your knowledge of React.js to implement new components, integrate them into the codebase, and enhance existing code.
- Write and maintain reusable code with documentation and tests at all stages through integration.
- Build responsive design, handle page navigation and turn mockups into actual web pages quickly and according to spec.
- Have experience in basic cross-browser support, caching, and optimization techniques for efficient page load times.
- Collaborate with the project manager and the project team to create designs, define requirements, and translate these into usable code.
- Develop enterprise-quality, horizontally scalable code using best practices, quickly and according to spec.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies
- Promote usability best practices
- Meeting with the development team to discuss user interface ideas and applications.
Technical Skill and Experience Requirements:
- Deep understanding of React.js and its core principles and Previous experience working as a react.js developer
- Good understanding of web application development and modern web architectures
- Familiarity with UI and CSS frameworks (e.g., Bootstrap or Chakra)
- CSS preprocessors, such as LESS and SASS
- Agile development, version control (Git), continuous integration, as well as software development team collaboration tools and practices
- Writing code to interact with RESTful APIs
- Docker-based workflows and Basic understanding of Amazon AWS service
- Understanding of responsive design principles
- The ability to express and share yourself in a clear and concise manner in English
- Self-sufficient and able to work 100% remotely
Benefits - what we bring:
- Work with a multi-faceted team that is passionate about interactive radio and its ability to serve the needs of citizen engagement on a variety of topics
- The opportunity to contribute to a product that will be used by radio stations, listeners, and the public all over the world