Designation District Accounts Officer
Location District Office
Employment type Renewable fixed term contract
Report to District Manager, Accounts Officer/ AM F&A
Functional reportees -
Employment level Middle
Established in 2007, Educate Girls (a project of 'Foundation to Educate Girls Globally') is holistically tackling issues
at the root cause of gender inequality in India's education system that has helped to ensure over 90% enrolment
and higher attendance as well as improved school infrastructure, quality of education and learning outcomes for
Our comprehensive model helps communities assess their school situation, initiate action plans and empowers
them to sustain positive results at the lowest cost. Educate Girls believes that if girls in the most backward gender
gap districts are educated now, they will have the potential to enter the formal economy, gain employment and lift
their families out of poverty. By leveraging the government's existing investment in schools, Educate Girls delivers
measurable results to a large number of beneficiaries and avoids duplication or parallel delivery of services.
Because of the sustainability and scalability of the model, Educate Girls has grown from a 500-school pilot project
in the Pali district of Rajasthan to now serving thousands of schools, reaching millions of children in some of India's
most remote areas. The non-governmental organization has a management and outreach office in Mumbai and
operations in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh and is committed to launching interventions in multiple new
geographies across India over the coming years.
For further details about organization, please visit www.educategirls.ngo
Gender Equality Being able to treat people equally irrespective of gender
Integrity Possess the ability to “know and do” what is right
Excellence Being outstanding or extremely good, striving to lead by performance excellence
Working effectively and inclusively with a range of people both within and outside of the
Being able to understand and share the feelings of another and use that understanding
to guide our actions
Strategic Thinking – Think big yet
Taking Ownership – Feel
responsible & accountable
Analytical Thinking – Stay true to
Developing Talent – Growing and taking people
Ensuring Alignment – Think differently but work
Overview of the role:
The Accounts Officer is the finance in-charge for the district operations. S/he handles the district finance flow,
processes payments as per organizational policies and procedures, and manages the district bank account. This
position has a dual reporting one to the district manager and second to the accounts officer/ AM F&A of the
Areas of Responsibility:
- Making payments and receipts as necessary for the business and recording them in accounting software
(Tally) in a timely manner.
- Ensure outlined procedures in the Finance Policy are adhered to while making any payments (or) receiving
- Make necessary journal entries as appropriate for appropriate accounting as per standard procedures.
- Ensure necessary documents are maintained for any transactions that are accounted in the software.
- Manage the bank account/s of district.
- Preparing Bank Reconciliation statement periodically as per practice
Budgeting and Reporting
- Prepare monthly fund request for the district in consultation with the district team / district manager.
Prepare variance report with narratives.
- Track the fund request against utilization of funds over a period; highlight issues pertaining to variance to
- Ensure legal payments such as TDS, Provident Fund, Professional Tax and Service Tax as applicable are
paid in time and the reports pertaining to them are submitted on time.
- Manage and handle the ongoing communication with Auditor’s office and build rapport as a single point
- Coordinate in case of periodic audit visits done by auditor’s office to the district and provide them with
necessary information, documentation as necessary for completion of timely audit.
Preferred Education Background:
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date books of accounts for the district
- Adhere to policies and procedures as defined in EG Financial Manual/ Procurement Manual
- Ensure all applicable statutory compliances are duly met
Preferred Work Experience:
- Hold a graduate degree in commerce and accounts (B.Com preferably)
Preferred Skill Set:
- Have a minimum of 2-3 years of experience in handling accounts function
- Working knowledge in Tally ERP
- Good knowledge of computer - Windows and Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel)
"Educate Girls is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly
encouraged to apply for this position."