Job title :
Software Engineer in Test
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager, and your request will be reviewed subject to business needs.
BUK & BX – All locations
We are currently in the early stages of implementing a hybrid working environment, which means that many colleagues spend part of their working hours at home and part in the office, depending on the nature of the role they are in. We’re flexible on how this works and it may continue to change and evolve. Depending on your team, typically this means that colleagues spend a minimum of between 20% to 60% of their time in the office, which could be over a week, a month or a quarter. However, some colleagues may choose to spend more time in the office over a typical period than their role type requires. We also have a flexible working process where, subject to business needs, all colleagues globally are able to request work patterns to reflect their personal circumstances These requests will be reviewed and agreed for a period of time i.e., will have a start and end date.
Please discuss the detail of the working pattern options for the role with the hiring manager.
Software Engineer in Test is responsible to work with multiple business aligned scrum teams conducting automation based testing, engineering and monitoring activities. The engineer will work with the scrum teams and members from a central business team to test the functional working of the systems, documenting issues and work with whomever it takes to determine root cause of any issues. The measure of success is preventing any significant functional problems from hitting Production at a large scale.
What will you be doing?
What we’re looking for:
- Work closely with Business, development groups and architects to orchestrate, conduct and participate in line of business automation testing and analysis to ensure performance, stability and scalability of applications
- Utilize automation tools like Selenium, SeeTest, Appium etc. to measure, detect, isolate and resolve functional issues found during application development functional testing
- Able to instrument Java calls/Methods on for API testing and able to migrate the calls to monitor the applications calls performance in production systems
- Report on the possibilities of functional failures and make sound decisions for next steps
- Measure, monitor and capture required infrastructure & application functional test metrics, logs and reports
- Measure results against business and technical requirements.
- Develop and validate automated test scripts against business unit-of-work requirements and scripting best practices
- Strong skills with Selenium, SeeTest and API Automation required. Automation script creation using Java technologies to emulate the application. All scripts are to be appropriately correlated, parameterized, with any check points, think time need to be added, etc.
- Build custom code with the Java programming language to make scripts robust and dynamic.
- Review scripts with core automation engineering Team and/or business team. Determine and validate system functions and user patterns. Build usage models based on these inputs.
- Prioritize and manage multiple initiatives supporting multiple lines of business
- React accordingly to various challenges before, during and after application performance testing engagements
- Collaborate with Business/Developers on the delivery of results
- Work with senior engineers to recommend resolutions for the application going live in production
Skills that will help you in the role :
- Automation Test Tools – Selenium, Appium, SeeTest, RestAssured
- 8+ years of prior experience with automation
- Strong experience with web, mobile and API automation framework creation
- Understanding of stubbing or simulating end points and when to use.
- Strong experience and expertise in creating CI/CD ecosystem for automation
- Automation Testing (refer to ‘Technical Skills’ section above.)
Where will you be working?
Be More at Barclays
At Barclays, each day is about being more – as a professional, and as a person. ‘Be More @ Barclays’ represents our core promise to all current and future employees. It’s the characteristic that we want to be associated with as an employer, and at the heart of every employee experience. We empower our colleagues to Be More Globally Connected, working on international projects that improve the way millions of customers handle their finances. Be More Inspired by working alongside the most talented people in the industry, and delivering imaginative new solutions that are redefining the future of finance. Be More Impactful by having the opportunity to work on cutting-edge projects, and Be More Valued for who you are.
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Purpose, Values and Mindset
We deploy finance responsibly to support people and businesses, acting with empathy and integrity, championing innovation and sustainability, for the common good and the long term.
Our values underpin everything we do:
Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We harness the power of diversity and inclusion in our business, trust those we work with, and value everyone's contribution.
We operate with honesty, transparency and fairness in all we do.
We act with empathy and humility, putting the people and businesses we serve at the centre of what we do.
We champion innovation, and use our energy, expertise and resources to make a positive difference.
We prize sustainability, and are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Our Mindset shapes how we take action, living by our Values, driven by our Purpose, always with our customers and clients at the heart of what we do; our Mindset is to Empower, Challenge and Drive.
Trust and support each other to deliver. Make decisions with those closest to the topic. Include diverse perspectives. Celebrate success and learn from failure.
Question whether things can be done better. Use insights based on data to inform decisions. Be curious about how we can adapt and improve. Speak up and be open to alternative viewpoints.
Focus on outcomes. Deliver with pace. Be passionate and ambitious about what we do. Take personal responsibility. Actively build collaborative relationships to get things done.