If you've been yearning for a chance to apply your design prowess and finely-tuned user-first thinking to solving really fun, really hard, and really interesting real-world problems, this might just be the position for you.
The Tax organization has a very important and highly visible role at Amazon. The Tax Technology group, where this position lives, works within the larger Tax organization to provide innovative technological solutions for complex business problems.
Qualified candidates for this position don't need a background in accounting. They don't even need to like doing their taxes every year. The well qualified candidate will stand out for their passion for solving puzzles, applying consistency, turning complexity into simplicity, and refusing to compromise when fighting for their users' right to get things done without a lot of overhead.
Join a team of passionate User Experience Designers who are serious about making a difference. We're not just working on internal tools; we're using best practices, design thinking, consistent design patterns, and real numbers to build delightful and important user experiences that matter.
We're looking for a talented and experienced UX Designer who will help lead the Tax Technology vision of building a suite of tightly integrated products that work together to solve complex business needs. We are developing innovative products including a next-generation application platform, data discovery engine, mapping platform and visualization engine, and more with state-of-the-art user experiences.
Did we say "innovation?" We're serious about that. Have you ever wanted to file a patent for your design work? Now's your chance!
In this role you'll be responsible for designing software that supports discovery, ingestion, processing, and analysis of trillions of global financial transactions worth BILLIONS (USD) annually. It's a big responsibility and a very important role at Amazon!
Key job responsibilities
• Own the end-to-end design of delightful customer experiences for multiple products.
• Lead the effort to build and maintain a comprehensive and consistent design system to include UI components, UI architecture, visual design, branding, and workflows for a suite of web-based applications.
• Provide UX design artifacts, including user personas, user journey maps, IA diagrams, flow diagrams, low-fi wireframes, hi-fi mockups, and interactive prototypes.
• Partner with the team's UX Researcher to define, contribute, and maintain user-centric design processes that include market analysis, customer feedback, customer interviews, usability testing, and UX metrics analysis.
• Use business requirements and research to help develop use cases and high-level requirements.
• Partner with the Product team to represent customer needs in the requirements development process.
• Present and defend design work to the UX Team, product owners, development team, product team, executives, and other product stakeholders for review and feedback.
A day in the life
As a senior contributor on the team, you'll help set the example for innovation and creative solutions to meet the needs of our customers -- the Tax professionals at Amazon.
As a customer advocate you will work with product owners upstream to help establish a bold product vision while working with software developers downstream to design within (but push the boundaries of) technological constraints.
Along the way, you'll be working closely with your cross-functional and highly capable Design Team members to generate aspirational and innovative solutions, contribute to a holistic design system, and courageously raise the bar for user experiences. This team only accepts the exceptional, so expect to be both inspired and challenged (in the best possible way) on a daily basis. We hope you'll return the favor!
You'll use your skills to invent and iterate on end-to-end workflows and product experiences. You'll develop your ideas from rough sketches, wireframes, and storyboards thorough fully interactive, high-fidelity prototypes and then confidently communicate your vision to senior executives and other stakeholders.
You should be able to lead by example, earn the trust of the team and stakeholders, and balance daily deliverables while participating in organization-wide efforts to build a vision for the long term.
About the team
Join a team of fun, brilliant, extremely creative UX Design and UX Research professionals where you'll have a chance to exchange ideas, evolve our design system, and show off your work. We laugh regularly, trust and learn from each other, and inspire each other to even greater heights!
• 6+ years of design experience
• An available online portfolio
• 6+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar role
• 6+ years of experience designing for web-based, responsive, and accessible applications
• Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or 7+ years equivalent professional experience
• A master's degree in interaction design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or related UX degree
• Visual and graphic design experience
• A portfolio that demonstrates UX and user-centered design expertise through mockups, style guides, prototypes, and other artifacts
• Excellent written communication skills
• Excellent verbal, presentation, and interpersonal skills
• Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with developers for implementation of designs
• Demonstrated proficiency in using and contributing to (atomic) design systems, both for consistency of brand/user experience and for efficiency in code.
• Meets or exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Demonstrated functional and technical expertise with design tools such as Sketch, InVision, XD, Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc
• Demonstrated proficiency in best practices for web-based application information architecture design, design patterns, usability principles, and techniques
• Demonstrated history of performing user research or gathering quantitative customer data
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.