- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- 2+ years professional experience in commercial or web-scale system software development and delivery
- Experience implementing algorithms, tailored to particular business needs and tested on large data sets
- Proven understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures and algorithms
- Proficient in network, distributed, asynchronous and concurrent programming
- Experience designing, building and delivering high quality software on time
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
It’s no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers – on time, with low cost. Our team, Sort Tech, builds the technology that enables manual and automated sortation, containerization, loading and unloading processes at over 2k nodes in Amazon’s worldwide transportation network - Fulfillment Centers (FCs), IXDs (Inbound Receive Centers), Sort Centers (SCs), Amazon Air Gateways and Delivery Stations (DSs). We also build visibility platforms that enable operations managers to monitor and refine their volume, staffing and building configurations to optimize their operational processes. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started.
Amazon’s global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Transportation Engineering's primary focus.
Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation solution on the planet, using our technology and engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too
We care about your career growth, too. Once you join the team, you and your manager will jointly craft a career plan and you’ll review it regularly to ensure you’re on track to meet your goals. Whether your goals are to explore new technologies, take on bigger problems, or get to the next level, we’ll help you get there. Our business is growing fast, and our people will grow with it.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history!
Check out our benefits:
Key job responsibilities
We prefer engineers who can thrive in a fast paced, high energy and fun work environment where we deliver value incrementally and frequently. We value highly technical people who know their subject matter deeply and are willing to learn new areas. We look for people who know how to deliver results and show a desire to develop themselves, their colleagues, and their career.
A day in the life
Contributing to the coding, architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems. Work as mentor and tech for an project engineering team
About the team
Our team, Sort Tech, builds the technology that enables manual and automated sortation, containerization, loading and unloading processes at over 2k nodes in Amazon’s worldwide transportation network - Fulfillment Centers (FCs), IXDs (Inbound Receive Centers), Sort Centers (SCs), Amazon Air Gateways and Delivery Stations (DSs). We also build visibility platforms that enable operations managers to monitor and refine their volume, staffing and building configurations to optimize their operational processes.
Found this job inappropriate? Report to us
- Bachelor's degree or relevant work experience.
- Strong demonstrated skills implementing and deploying large scale machine learning applications and tools.
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
- Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Be obsessed with addressing customer needs
- Experience in building supply chain, logistics software